February 24, 2014

Politically Neutral


This week, the president of Uganda signed into law the anti-homosexuality bill. While homosexual acts are already illegal here, the bill allows for life in prison in some cases. It originally had a death penalty clause that was later removed. It also originally included prison time for individuals or organizations who do not report gay people, but this too was removed in the signed bill.

For now, Peace Corps has said that the post here will remain open, but they are offering to send volunteers home who feel that they can no longer stay in the country.

As a Peace Corps volunteer, I need to remain politically neutral for my own safety and security and for the success of my work here. Therefore, I have no comment about the facts stated above. Since this is the only thing that I needed to process through writing, I have nothing else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment