March 08, 2014

Packing List

This post is just for future PCVs who are working on the daunting task of packing. The post is divided into sections with notes about regrets at the end of each section. Good luck!

Clothing
1 bandana
3 dresses
2 sports bras
3 regular bras
3 belts
1 jacket
1 pair bicycle shorts
1 compact rain jacket
2 half slips (only need one)
1 swimming suit
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of cord capris
2 cardigans
6 skirts
2 pairs of gaucho pants
1 pair of pajama bottoms
1 long sleeve shirt
1 t-shirt
12 work shirts
3 pairs of black socks
4 wide-strap tank tops
1 pair basketball shorts
3 scarves
14 pairs of underwear plus 14 more that I’m saving for half way through service

Notes: You definitely don't need that many clothes, but I go crazy without a little variety! There are used clothing stores here that a lot of people like, but I think it's hard to find clothing that fits well, especially pants. I wish I had more jeans for going out/feeling normal! Be sure to bring at least a few things that you really like to wear, even if they are impractical. Also, I wish I had brought at least 2 more t-shirts. T-shirts are easy to find at used clothing stores, but you can’t buy any while you’re in training and I needed them for exercising and playing sports.

Shoes
2 pairs of Chaco’s sandals
1 pair of nice flats for special occasions
1 pair of tennis shoes
1 pair of good flip flops
1 pair of black Tom’s

Notes: The flip flops aren’t needed, I just happen to really like the kind that have yoga mat soles. My only regret in this category is bringing flats instead of heels. I cannot emphasize enough how hideous and frumpy you will feel here all the time. Bring things to help you feel pretty! Only 1 pair of Chaco’s is all that’s needed but I like having choices.

Toiletries:
2 packs of hair bands
2 packs of bobby pins
1 hair brush
2 years of contacts
2 bottles of contact solution
2 pairs of glasses
2 pairs of sunglasses
2 toothbrushes
1 tube of toothpaste
2 razors
12 razor blades
67 pairs of ear plugs (I actually calculated this…I’m a light sleeper!)
Makeup
Nail clippers
4 bottles of nail polish
2 packs of dental floss
Foot pumice
Shampoo and conditioner
1 tube of good face sunscreen
2 sticks of deodorant

Notes: No, we aren’t supposed to wear contacts, but I hate wearing glasses! Contact solution is very expensive and hard to find, so I had a 2-year supply shipped to me once I got to site. I wish I had more nail polish with me! PC provides dental floss, but it’s terrible. I’m having more good floss shipped to me because you cannot buy it in stores here. They have most toiletries available here, you just need enough to get through training. I’m glad I brought good razors. I was really jealous of people who brought a hair straightener with them, but my house doesn’t have electricity anyway.

Games:
Scrabble
Boggle
Werewolves
2 decks of cards
Set

Notes: I haven’t used these much. It’s hard to find someone to play with.

Jewelry:
4 bracelets
7 pairs of earrings
2 necklaces
3 rings

Notes: These take up no space and I’m so glad I brought them!

Gifts:
6 Utah postcards to write thank you notes on
2 Utah pens
Dollar store notebooks, stickers, and candy for the children in my homestay family

Notes: I brought way too many little gifts for homestay and I have a lot left over! I only listed what I’m glad I brought.

Technology:
Kindle
Kindle light with batteries
SteriPen Adventurer
Camera, extra memory card (sadly, this went missing the day before I left)
Laptop
External hard drive filled with movies, TV, music, and books
IPod
External battery (charges my phone and IPod)
Flash drive
Old IPhone
IPod speakers
Extra IPod headphones
Solar charger

Notes: I didn’t own an IPhone before coming here, but I am so glad I found one to bring! You can use a smartphone to broadcast a hotspot so that you can access the internet from your computer without purchasing a modem. Be sure to unlock your cell phone before coming—it is expensive and difficult to do here. Also, make sure you get all of the latest software downloaded before coming. I had to download several things and it takes hours and hours which translates into a lot of money to do it here (if you can do it at all). I wish I had a travel alarm clock that runs on batteries or a watch for the many days when I my phone isn’t charged (no electricity) and I have no idea what time it is. My SteriPen would be really handy if it worked. So would my solar charger (I’m somehow missing a cord). Don’t be like me! Test everything before you bring it so that you can easily exchange it if it doesn’t work. My external hard drive is 1TB and I wish it was 2 TB. You can buy converters and surge protectors here.

Miscellaneous:
2 flat sheets
3 pillowcases
3 pillows (I am a pillow freak! They will give you a pillow, I just need lots of good ones.)
Postcards
2 journals
Head lamp
Combination lock
2 luggage locks
2 rolls duct tape
Calculator
Timer
Safety pins
Washcloth
Compact umbrella
Sewing kit
6 bungee cords
Leatherman
Gardening gloves
12 packets of seeds
Address book
2 towels, one quick-dry and one regular (I only use the regular towel) 
Marc Chagall print
Free-standing small mirror
4 pens
Velcro dots
4 plastic hanging hooks
Scissors
Scotch tape
5 Sharpies
Sticky tack
2 door/window alarms (these just make me feel better)
Reflective belt (JIC I'm walking on a busy road at night, it just makes me feel better)
2 Nalgene bottles (bring 2!)
Twist ties (randomly threw these in, glad I did)
1 medium-sized backpack
1 purse, 1 coin purse, 1 wallet
Photo album with pictures of family and friends
Flute and sheet music (thought I would regret this, but so glad I have it—bring something hobby related for all of your free time)
Copies of all important documents in a file folder
3 month supply of any medications you're on

Notes: You can buy locks here, but they come in handy during training. We were given scissors, sticky tack, and tape in training and you can buy most office supplies here. Colored Sharpies are really good for education volunteers. I’m glad I brought the umbrella, but I’m a shade freak. The bungee cords and plastic hooks were really handy and I wish I had more hooks. I haven’t done any gardening yet, but the gardening gloves have been very useful for other things. Glad I have the duct tape and timer too.
Other:
Property Insurance: I got this from Clements and paid about $100 for a year's worth of coverage. It will cover my losses if anything gets stolen (which happens a lot).
Power of Attorney: I made my mom my power of attorney so that she can file my taxes, have access to my bank accounts, sign off on my car title, etc.
Last Will and Testament: I don't actually own much, but it made me feel better to write up a will just in case.
Bank Accounts: I added my best friend and mom onto all of my accounts just to make it easier for them to mail me things and help take care of things for me.
Passport Photos: They tell you to bring way more than you need. I have used 2 so far.
 
Best Advice:
Read all of the blogs and packing lists, but follow the age-old advice, "To thine own self be true." Know yourself. Bring the things you want and need to feel happy and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment